When it comes to staying safe, then we all know about the big things. Avoiding serial killers, staying away from wild animals and not jumping off tall buildings are just plain common sense. However, it might surprise you to learn that it’s not just the big things you need to worry about. There are some deadly things in our daily lives that could prove just as bad for your health.
Here are ten of the most dangerous everyday foods that you need to be careful of.
10 – Cinnamon
We start our list off with one of the most well-known spices around. Who doesn’t love a good apple pie for example with some cinnamon sprinkled on for extra taste? Well it might surprise you to know that the Cassia variety of Cinnamon contains a compound that is very dangerous in high doses. Coumarin that is found in the Cassia variety of this spice can lead to liver issues as well as increase the risk of cancer!
09 – Potatoes
Another very common staple of every cuisine around the globe is the potato. This versatile produce lends itself to many recipe and is great for filling you up. It may surprise you to know that the Potato is actually a member of the Nightshade family though! Although not usually an issue, if you spot a green potato then be careful. Green areas on a potato can indicate high levels of Solanine which can cause illness when eaten.
08 – Nutmeg
Another very common spice that you would be best to treat with care is Nutmeg. Although it is fine in small doses, ingesting too much can lead to serious problems. Acute Nutmeg poisoning can lead to headaches, drowsiness and even unconsciousness in sufferers! The culprit is the toxic compound myristicin which Nutmeg contain and is not good for humans in large doses.
07 – Mushrooms
A member of the fungi family, mushrooms are a favourite of many diners around the world. The many different kinds lend them to many recipes and uses in the kitchen. However, if you spot a slimy or moldy mushroom beware! This could indicate the presence of the deadly Botulinum bacteria which is very nasty for humans if eaten. Too much of this bacteria can lead to muscle paralysis and breathing difficulties.
06 – Alfalfa Sprouts
These tasty greens are becoming an increasingly noticeable sight on many salads across the globe. The colour and taste they give is favoured by many cafes when putting a meal together for their customers. However, for anyone with an auto-immune disease, it is best avoided! These sprouts actually contain a compound called L-canavanine which can cause flare-ups in certain conditions. If you are worried this could affect you, then they are best left alone.
05 – Mangoes
Who can resist a lovely, juicy Mango? While they are great to eat, they also come from the same family as deadly sumac and poison ivy. The issue some can have with Mango in particular is something known as Mango Rash. This sees anyone who is sensitive to the Mango flesh or rind break out in skin rashes once in contact with them. If you experience this after coming into contact with Mango, then it is best to avoid them altogether.
04 – Cassava
Linamarin is the thing that you want to be aware of when eating Cassava. This compound actually converts into fatal Cyanide when ingested by humans. Obviously, this could lead to a meal with a very unfortunate ending for someone. Cassava is fine to eat though – it just needs to be prepared properly first. Make sure to cook it properly and you will be able to enjoy Cassava with no deadly consequences.
03 – Sweet Potatoes
Next on our list is the humble Sweet Potato. This has become very popular in recent years due to the high levels of Vitamin C and other nutrients in it. While it is not something to be discarded, you do need to be aware of not eating any that look moldy. The mold that grows on the Sweet Potato is very toxic for humans and can lead to respiratory problems. If you notice your Sweet Potato is moldy then simply chuck it away.
02 – Quail
If you like to enjoy Quail as a dinner-time treat, then you need to think about Coturnism. The issue is not with Quails themselves but with that they eat when alive. As scavengers, they will feed on whatever they come across in the wild. This can sometimes include Hemlock! As we know Hemlock is very bad for humans and eating one of more Quails who have eaten Hemlock can pose serious problems.
01 – Red Kidney Beans
One of the most commonly seen foods that can cause very serious food poisoning is the Red Kidney Beans. They contain high levels of Lectin which can provoke serious reactions in humans who ingest it. If you plan to eat Red Kidney Beans then make sure to cook them for the required time to break down the high levels of Lectin. This will see them safe enough to consume.
It must be noted that all the above foods are safe to eat if prepared properly and not eaten in high volumes. Having said that, it is worth being aware of the potential issues with them to make sure you stay out of trouble. While you do not need to stop eating any of the foods above, you should always be careful to do so in the correct manner.
*images via pixabay